Sunday, June 26, 2005

When I was in college, I had a nightmare in which a cloud of insects swarmed across my face. I woke up screaming, freezing, covered in sweat and hallucinating from low blood sugar. I wrote a poem about it at the time, which I will not share (although I made a hilarious joke at a campus poetry reading, about how I wrote a series of twenty poems, all called "low" and all about having diabetes; I got a good laugh when I read the second poem, and left it at that).

Three years ago, I had a bug problem in my apartment. Little gnat-like fuckers all over my ceilings. I finally tracked the problem to my pantry, in which a bag of potatoes had fed a colony of insects. I pulled out the bag, and was swarmed by the insects. A cloud of insects swarming across my face. Just like my nightmare.

No comments: