Saturday, March 15, 2003

Holy shit, some ha-ha funny shit on The Comics Journal Message Board. The players are Bobby London, underground cartoonist, Ariel Bordeaux, a cartoonist, and Fantagraphics Books co-publisher Kim Thompson:

Bobby London: I didn't intend to repeat myself or bring this thread back to the original topic but
this time around, what's good for Mickey
Mouse is good for cartoonists everywhere.
Considering how artists still get treated
by society (not to mention by other artists),
I see no shame in their descendants reaping
benefits from their efforts especially if
they themselves never see such benefits in
their lifetimes. If they do, so much the better but, last time I looked, the cliche'
still holds. For every Mozart, there's a
Salieri with spade in hand and publishers
tend to treat the Salieris of the world with
equaniminity.

Bobby London: P.S. Feminists hate guys who have their shit
together.

Ariel B.: Hey Bobby, can you explain that last sentence? Because it totally offends me, and I think you are pro rape.

Bobby London :"Having your shit together" in the hippie handbook meant merely being able to take care
of yourself and meet your personal responsiblities, not losing your marbles
and committing sexual assault. Where in the previous post did I use the "r" word?
In the event this is not a joke, it goes like
this: my experience has been that radical feminists didn't like guys who had careers,
preferred to have them around for pedicures. That's all I meant.

Kim Thompson: Ariel Bordeaux 2, Bobby London 0. I've rarely seen a more elegant deflection of a male-chauvinist-pig rant, and Ariel gets the extra point because Bobby completely missed the irony.
A person less kind than me might ask how a cartoonist would have any first-hand knowledge of feminists' distaste for men with careers.

No comments: