Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I saw Fahreheit 911 last week, like every other traitor in America. I didn't think it was all that great, but I'm probably just being a grouch. I can't be bothered actually investigating, but I bet one criticism Moore's antagonists have is the film's portrayal of "the sovereign nation of Iraq" before the US invasion, which is an idylic place of smiling children, kittens and laughter, a beacon of joie de vie snuffed by cluster bombs. I doubt Iraq was really as cartoonishly bad as had been propogandized, with prisonsers being fed into shredders and the like, but I really doubt it was the carefree wonderland Moore implies. If one were to review on the street footage of Manhattan in the early morning of September 11, 2001, I'm sure there'd be plenty of miserable wage slaves, hunching their way into their soul-crushing job at the World Trade Center, exhausted at 8 am after their four hour train commute from West Virginia. Let's get a little fucking perspective.

No comments: