Sunday, February 01, 2004

J-Dawg makes an observation in her blog which I have shared before. I agree, smokers have a bad habit of littering. Years ago, during which I was briefly friends with Christ Cornell's sister -- brushing with fame yet again -- she was pushing a ballot initiative to ban smoking in bars. I disagreed on her with that. I think private establishements should be allowed to set their own policies, while acknowleging the healthy feeling of no black lung, and fresh-smelling clothes. That is why I suggested that local governments should try an experiment, by making cigarette littering a high enforcement priority. Washington State can fine you as much as $1,000 for throwing a smoke out the window, which I think is fair, considering that smokers probably throw thousands of such butts in their lifetimes. No, but I think a campaign of terror against cigarette littering would at the very least result in slightly cleaner streets, and might nudge people towards clean lungs, sanity and freedom.

No comments: