Monday, November 26, 2007

Yet another white devil learns that you can't just visit a foreign culture and act like you own the place.

To wit
:

A British schoolteacher has been arrested in Sudan accused of insulting Islam's Prophet, after she allowed her pupils to name a teddy bear Muhammad.

Colleagues of Gillian Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, said she made an "innocent mistake" by letting the six and seven-year-olds choose the name.

Ms Gibbons was arrested after several parents made complaints.

The BBC has learned the charge could lead to six months in jail, 40 lashes or a fine.

If I were her, I'd pay the fine. Even with the Western economy tumbling to Poland-in-the-Eighties levels, I bet the Euro is still pretty strong against the Sudanese dinar, and she'll end up paying the equivalent of $24 US. I liked this line as well:

One Muslim teacher at the independent school for Christian and Muslim children, who has a child in Ms Gibbons' class, said she had not found the project offensive.

"I know Gillian and she would never have meant it as an insult. I was just impressed that she got them to vote," the teacher said.

Yeah, talk to me when suffrage in Sudan extends beyond third grade.

No comments: