Monday, December 17, 2007

BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR?



I saw Juno this weekend. I was very excited to see it, what with it's writer being a stripper and starring Ellen Page, who is definitely the next Miss Thing. I haven't seen the castration anxiety movie yet, but the delightful Miss Page won my heart when she called Juggernaut a dickhead in X-Men 3 (probably my favorite scene in all the X-Men films).

Juno is good, but in a low-key way. I was expecting to be blown away, but I bet if I had lower expectations, I might have loved it. The film is well-written, the characters are distinctive and idiosyncratic. An easy way for a comedy to win my approval is to have family banter that is funny and familiar, as opposed to teeing off one-liners. The parents are part of the plot, as opposed to being assholes, remote figures or sex objects. There's some hilarious lines, but I can't remember most of them, so low-key are the hijinks.

Okay, this is not shaping up into a good or coherent review. Too distracted. Three stars for Juno.

No comments: