Friday, December 28, 2007

HOLIDAY DOG BLOGGING

Visits with my family are complicated the by presence of a pack of dogs. My parents have three, and my little sister one. There's a total of 250 pounds of dog at their house during the holidays, more than 80% of which is taken up by the two labs. It was nice my first night there -- every time I turned around, a new dog was looking at me affectionately. I certainly felt welcome.



Angel is what could be described as a Sumatran Rat Terrier. I was never ready with a camera when she was properly ratty and pathetic. She is one unattractive dog. It's hard to capture in a photo, but she always looks soaking wet. My father attributes it to the special fur meant to guarantee a shiny coat -- he says it makes her look greasy. I disagree -- she looks wet.

My mother protests when I mock the thing, arguing that Angel is a true sweetheart. And I agree. Angel brings me joy -- I laughed with pleasure almost every time I laid eyes her. And that's okay.



Now onto the series of black dogs. Emma here is the senior pet (Angel is older, but Emma got there first). She is a mutt with a brilliant concept -- she's like a half-size lab. Loads of personality on this one. She sleeps on the back of couches, a habit she picked up from cats. She likes to growl and bark at anyone who walks by on the street. She has a deep and menacing growl. And she's little, so it's hilarious.



And here we have Tyrone, my little sister's pride and joy. Almost three years old, he arrived six months before my nephew Jameson, making him the first grandchild in some eyes. He is a pathetic mama's boy. He is full of the fear of my sister. He only visited the house -- he's an only child at home. He had a few problems getting socialized with the other big black dog (see below). Tyrone paced nervously whenever my sister prepared to go somewhere -- he was afraid he would be left behind for a month, as happens during the summer. He prefers being an only child.



Zak is the newest member of the clan, adopted in July when my father was on vacation and unable to object. He's a big dog, with a face speckled by white scars from a mis-spent youth spent kicking ass. With Tyler's passing earlier in the year, it was sure nice to have a galootish lab to hang out with. Zack has funny habits -- he followed Tyrone around when they were outside going to the bathroom, making sure to mark on Tyrone's spot. He was also demanding of attention -- I could not be in the same room with him without Zack forcing his head under my hand for a rub down.

I imagined Tyrone first meeting Zack, and wondering first: What am I doing over there?

And Zack probably thought the same thing.

No comments: