Saturday, December 15, 2007

LIVING IN THE PAST: THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST

I finally saw THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST this past weekend. Despite being an early supporter, I held off, concerned that the money I spent on attendance could add to the ridiculous right-wing cultural claims being made.

Everything I've heard about the movie is true. Except the suggestions that it's a good movie. It's a terrible movie.

I can see why some can't see the anti-Semitism. The anti-Semitism is mostly couched in medieval imagery of the type that a modern viewer would gloss over. I've seen many a painting that features Satan whispering to anti-Jesus crowds as shown in Passion. A member of a Catholic sect that rejects modern teachings could be expected to be familiar with such imagery, however.

Originally composed on... 12/31/69. Whatever. Anyway, see here for what apparently stood as my review back in 2004.

No comments: