Wednesday, December 12, 2007

IKE TURNER: DEAD AT 76



I remember in college my roommates and I were fascinated by a figment of Ike. "What's Love Got to do with It" appeared in theaters while I was a sophomore, and we were fascinated by Larry Fishburne's look in the commercials -- he was all Seventies Groove-tacular, with an afro, and little square glasses, smoking a cigarette. I think. There might have even been a headband. God, that was cool. I can't believe I can't find a screen capture on the net.

AllMusic complains how Ike's reputation as the Patron Saint of Wife-Hitting Guitarists "does a disservice to his very real musical legacy as an instrumentalist and bandleader." I don't know if I agree. I think if I realized I was in the same room with a man who had that kind of reputation, and he was a musician, I'd probably leave. And for me, that settles it. If I'm afraid to stick around for the show, the music can't be all that good.

I'm gonna guess that every obituary mentions the wife beating, and I wouldn't be surprised if they mentioned it at the memorial service.

No comments: