Thursday, September 12, 2002

From Roger Ebert: There was sadness Monday night at the dinner before Mike Leigh's All or Nothing, because Leigh and his actors, Timothy Spall and Leslie Manville, had worked with and loved the great actress Katrin Cartlidge. She died Saturday, at 41, suddenly, of septicemia resulting from pneumonia; she had been in hospital only two days. Cartlidge, an actress of power and grace, starred for Leigh in "Naked," "Career Girls" and "Topsy-Turvy," and took courageous chances in Lars von Trier's "Breaking the Waves" and Lodge Kerrigan's "Claire Dolan."

Cartlidge was an actress I always wished to see more of, and always wondered why I couldn't. She was an amazing presence in Breaking the Waves, which is where I first noticed her, and was so good in other roles I didn't realize she was playing them. I'm sorry she isn't getting much more of an obituary than this. Phenominal actress.

No comments: