Wednesday, October 02, 2002

I recently received a membership solicitation from Cinema Seattle. I was completely put off by the testimonial on the front, extolling the artistry of the Seattle International Film Festival. Not so much for the trite, unsuprising sentiments expressed, but because the auteur being quoted was second-tier talent Mel Gibson. How dare they put Mel Gibson forward as a spokesman for art cinema, thought I.

Well, joke's on me, it turns out. Mel Gibson is currently in production of Passion, a film about the last hours of Jesus Christ. Starring Jim Caviezel, the dialogue will be entirely in Latin and Aramaic, without subtitles. And I thought my idea for a Jesus movie was kooky, idiosyncratic and artistic. Gibson may have gone insane, may be a religious nut, or he may just be an artist director after all.

No comments: