Wednesday, October 16, 2002

I'm in rehearsals for Chekhov's Three Sisters with the Art Theater of Puget Sound. You know, the basic intensive Stanislavski rehearsals for ten weeks, at which point we perform for a crowd so small we couldn't eat them to survive in case of a natural disaster. I'm playing the part of Solynony, a soldier in love with one of the sisters. It's not bad. I get to say some funny things and kills someone in the last act.

One of the aspects of the Stanislavski method is "inner visions," where you recall a concrete moment from your own life that fits the part, and envision it while performing the role. Last night, we rehearsed the second act, where the bulk of my lines occur. I declare my love for Irina and she coldly rejects me. Needless to say, I walked out of there depreessed as all shit, and had trouble sleeping.

Fuck Chekhov.

No comments: