Tuesday, October 08, 2002

Which was okay. Tells the first adventure of America's favorite super-hero, Hannibal Lecter. I didn’t see Manhunter, and didn’t read the book, so it was new to me. I was stoned, so the shocks were like daggers into my soul. I had trouble sleeping that night, because I was having nightmares starring Ed Norton. It’s always nice to see Phillip Seymour Hoffman get brutally murdered; it should happen in every movie he’s in. I realized that Emily Watson is the actress of choice when they want someone who is innocent to the core, but will still go down on a first date. Good for her. She’s the madanno-whore, no complex there. And they brought back Anthony Heald as the greasy psychiatrist/jailer of Hannibal! Of course, he's put on a few hundred pounds since he filmed Silence of the Lambs, so it sort of ruined things. Fat fuck.

it has a prologue, apparently new to the film, not in the previous version or the book, which show's Norton's Will Graham capturing the effete, pony-tailed Lecter. Maybe it's just me, but I really think there's a great movie to be made about an FBI profiler working with a forensic psychiatrist who turns out to be the cannibal he's been seeking. Maybe another movie. The opening would've been a great climax.

I also saw Moonlight Mile, which was... inconsistent. It tells the story of a family recovering from the random shooting of their daughter. At times it was among the worst movies ever made, with plenty of serviceable/cute filler music, and stock Hollywood greiving shots. The director is clearly a hack down to his very soul, but at times strikes gold, mostly thanks to the acting (apparently, this is based on his life; maybe he couldn't escape the verisimilitude). Great, really true performances from Susan Sarandon and Dustin Hoffman as the dead girl's parents. Hoffman, especially, deomostrates what he can do when he isn't self-consciously "acting" as he does in films like Rain Man. As the fiance-with-a-secret, Jake Gyllenhaal plays sort of like Tobey McGuire's retarded younger brother. I wish he would go away. And there's Ellen Pompeo. I couldn't find any websites dedicated to her, but by this time next year, there will be many. She's beautiful and charismatic, in an utterly approachable way. I hope that doesn't lead to trouble.

And to the movie's credit, it does actually play the tititular Rolling Stones song, from Sticky Fingers. One of their best.

Finally, I keep seeing prviews for Tuck Everlasting. Lousy fucking title. And the movie looks awful. It's apparently based ona beloved children's book I've never heard of, which combines Little House on the Prairie with Peter Pan. I only mention this thing because something always bothers me. Why is it, whenever someone in literature, usually a teenager or child, lives forever, they always act like a teenager? I would think that if one is seventeen for 85 years, that one would have the personality and maturity of an un-atrophied 102-year-old. I would thing aside from certain understandable, lecherous impules, one would stay as far away from vacuous teenage girls as one can. Does drinking magic spring water turn you into a retard? Find out, at a theatre near you!

No comments: